Monday 29 September 2014

Global learning boosts student's job prospects

UCLan Hospitality Management students have a variety of international opportunities open to them.

Charlotte Roberts recently spent time studying in Malta, before securing her placement year in the USA. We spoke to Charlotte to find out more.

"I studied abroad for nine months at the University of Malta. I did a mixture of Tourism and Business Studies to make up my credits for the hospitality course.

"The learning environment and what you learn through experience and the new culture is better than being in the classroom – it also looks great on your CV.

"You're thrown into a new life with people from all over the world. I learnt a lot of interchangeable skills from my time in Malta, which I feel I would never have been able to learn from just the core subjects alone.

"I'm currently living and working in Austin, Texas, at a White Lodging hotel 'Residence Inn by Marriott' and I love it.

"I'm working a rotation role which gives me the opportunity to see all aspects of the hotel and the different career paths my degree will take me on. I’m mainly working on the front desk, where I feel I learn something new every day and I get to deal first hand with a variety of guests.

"So far my placement is going really well. I've settled in nicely and everyone I've met has been lovely – it must be the Southern hospitality!

"I've loved my time away and would recommend it to anyone who is looking to study abroad. The experiences I've had, the memories I've made and the friends I've met will forever be in my heart.”

No comments:

Post a Comment